Tuesday 18 December 2012

A DNF Review -- Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck





Now let's get something clear. I hardly DNF books. I feel super guilty when I start entertaining the thought so as long as there's a tiny, tiny part of me that's somewhat curious or interested in how the book turns out, I will finish that book. Besides, how am I suppose to complain about a book if I never got to the ending to see if things got better? I haven't earned the right. But you know what? There are a bajillion books out there. My TBR pile is stacked sky high and I don't need to be wasting my time forcing myself on some book I really don't care about when I could be reading something amazing instead. I have all the rights I need to talk about whatever I want. I'm a reader.

Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1)
Title: Tiger's Curse
Author: Colleen Houck
Series: The Tiger Saga (1)
Publisher: Sterling
Release Date: 11 Jan 2011
Date Read: December 2012

Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.
(I suggest you don't)

Tiger's Curse is one of the most tooth-achingly boring books I have ever read. It was written in Kelsey's perspective, in first person. That was no treat. She is so bland. She has no personality, not smart, not funny, not brave, nothing. Her attempts at jokes are just pitiful and she giggles too much. Accepting the way she got her job (for the cirucs and the India thing) was the least of the problems I had to overlook. And then, Houck managed to make India, one of the most exotic places on Earth, plain. I mean it's a country with a completely different culture, completely different people, places and food, everything. You can't blame me for wanting a hell of a lot more than what she gave. The writing is very straight-forward and constrained. The pacing was painful and there were quite a lot of info-dumps involving Ren's past and the mythology involved.

And ugh, the insta-love! I already hate insta-love but if the author makes it cute or is done well, then I can overlook it. Tiger's Curse's romance oozed disgusting fake cheese. And that's a pretty amazing feat considering Ren was only actually human for 24 minutes a day. My eyes rolled so far up my head I swear I could see my freaking brain.

After about 200 pages in, I decided to call it quits already. I honestly just didn't give a shit about any of it. Ren could have stayed a tiger for all I cared. Or mauled Kelsey.


What books have you labelled DNF? Do you even DNF books?

2 comments:

  1. Hahah, funny review. Definitely just removed this book from my To-Read list... I give up on books really easily, so I somehow doubt that I'd make it too far into this one.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right that there are too many other books out there to waste time reading a book that doesn't work for you! I've had a few DNF titles in my time, and actually prefer those reviews to gushing 5 star reviews! I know some people that love this series, so glad to hear an opposing viewpoint. Hope your next read is more to your liking!

    ReplyDelete

Comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...